CoaguChek® XS system
The CoaguChek® XS system is a convenient, portable and user-friendly instrument for monitoring oral anticoagulation therapy. It determines the INR value (International Normalized Ratio) from a drop of capillary whole blood –it’s simple, precise and reliable.
The CoaguChek® XS system is ready to use anywhere, any time. You can test yourself at home, school, work or on vacation.
Fast, reliable results
- Accurate PT/INR results in one minute
- Built-in quality control checks each and every strip automatically
- Lab-equivalent accuracy and precision
Simple fingerstick test
- Most patients prefer having a small drop of blood (just 8 μL) taken from a fingerstick over having blood drawn from a vein
Independence and reassurance
- Self-monitoring with a single instrument has the benefit of being accurate and reproducible
Improved patient outcomes
- Heneghan, et. al (2006). Lancet, 367; 404-411.
|Measuring & sampling|
|Detection system||Amperometric (electrochemical) determination of the PT time after activation of the coagulation with human recombinant thromboplastin|
|User interface||Simple user interface with icon-based LCD and On/Off-, Mem- and set-Button|
|Sample application||Outside the meter top- and 2 sides: left or right,-dosing options|
|Temperature||+ 15° C to + 32° C (59° F to 90° F)|
|Humidity and height||10 - 85% - 4300 m|
|Placement||- First option: Operate the monitor on a level surface, free of vibrations
- Second option: Hold the monitor in your hand, so that it is roughly horizontal
|Measuring range||INR: 0. 8 - 8.0|
|Memory||100 test results with time and date|
|Power||Battery - Four 1.5v AAA alkali-manganese batteries|
|# of tests per set of batteries||Up to 300 tests or 2 years|
|Size||138 x 78 x 28 mm|
|Weight||127 g (without batteries)|
|Sample type||Fresh capillary whole blood or non-anticoagulated venous whole blood|
|Sample size||8 µl|
|Interference||Refer to the test-strip package insert.|
|Sensitivity to heparin||Not at therapeutic levels, up to 0.8 I.U/ml for UFH and to 2 anti-Xa U/ml for LMWH|
On each strip, through the same channel as the blood passes
|Stability||21 months from production (+ 2° C to + 30° C)|
CoaguChek XS – Easy, Fast, Precise
For a more complete explanation of the testing procedure, watch the CoaguChek XS handling video below.
- 1. What is the recommended test frequency?
The interval between tests will be recommended to you by your doctor or nurse.
- 2. What is time in therapeutic range (TTR)?
The percentage of time your INR values fall within the upper and lower target value. i.e. set by your doctor (therapeutic range)
- 3. How can I improve my time in therapeutic range (TTR)?
By testing more frequently and subsequently better adjust medication
- 4. Does the CoaguChek XS need calibrating?
No, just insert the Code key that comes with the strips and you are done
- 5. What steps can I take when the readings are different to the hospital lab?
There are different measurement methods to test your INR. Since the hospital might use a different measurement method, than your meter, your readings might slightly differ.
If you have questions about your INR readings, please contact your local support organization.
- 6. Why can’t I perform a liquid quality control?
The meter has an internal quality control, measuring liquid controls is not needed.
- 7. Does the user have to run the test immediately after having taken it out from the vial?
The vial can be left open for up to 10 minutes. If the strip is left out of the vial too long an error message will be displayed.
- 8. Why is it important to change the Code chip?
It is important to have the correct code chip inserted that matches the particular code of strips that you are using. The code chip contains essential calibration information for the meter to run a test.
- 9. What happens if blood is applied before the test strip symbol and flashing drop of blood drop appears on the screen?
An error message (error number 4) will appear on the screen